President: Tim Jensen (born 1950), Denmark
Professional and Academic Career (A Selection):
- 1981: Magister Artium, History of Religions, University of Copenhagen with a dissertation on the concept of ‘hybris’ in the Homeric epics.
- 1981-1995: Senior teacher in Religion and Ancient Greek Civilization at Christianshavns Gymnasium, Copenhagen.
- 1986-1988: Assistant Lecturer, the Department of the History of Religions, University of Copenhagen.
- 1995-1998: Assistant Professor at the Department for the Study of Religions, University of Southern Denmark.
- 1995-2017: External Lecturer, DPU/University of Aarhus.
- 2012-2013: Professor, Gastwissenschaftler, Abteilung Religionswissenschaft, Leibniz Universität Hannover.
- 2017-2020: Senior Research Fellow Ural Federal University, Ekatarinburg.
- 2016-: Honorary professor, Leibniz Universität, Hannover.
- 1998-: Associate Professor, Institute of Philosophy, Education, and the Study of Religions, University of Southern Denmark.
Offices Held (A Selection):
- 1980–1990: Chair of Religionshistorisk Forening, University of Copenhagen, and co-founder and member of editorial board of CHAOS, Danish- Norwegian Periodical for Studies in the History of Religions.
- 1991-1993: Chair of Association for Teachers in Religious Education in the Gymnasium.
- 1997-2005: President of DAHR, the Danish Association for the History of Religions (now DASR).
- 2000-2005: Chair of NORREL, the Nordic Committee for the History of Religions.
- 2000-2004: General Secretary of EASR, the European Association for the Study of Religions.
- 2002-2004: Chair at the Institute of Philosophy and the Study of Religions, University of Southern Denmark.
- 2005-2010 & 2010-2015: General Secretary IAHR (International Association for the History of Religions).
- 1999-2007 & 2011-: Head of the Department of the Study of Religions/ Director of Teaching of the Study of Religions, University of Southern Denmark.
- 2013-2021: Board member of the Danish Institute of Human Rights, appointed by the University of Southern Denmark.
- 2015-2020 & 2020-2025: President, IAHR (International Association for the History of Religions).
Editorial and Editorial Advisory Boards (Currently):
- Temenos, Nordic Journal for Comparative Religion
- British Journal of Religious Education
- Religion & Education
- Korean Journal of Religious Studies
- Study of Religion ('Religiovedenie')
- Journal of the Study of Religion
Publications (in Danish and English mainly, with a few works translated into other languages too), are mainly on (issues of methodology in) the study of religion(s) and a study-of-religion(s) based RE (religion education). Publications, however, also include work on religion and the state, religion and applied ethics, religion and environmental issues, possible tasks and roles of the scientific study of religion(s) and scholars of religion in the public sphere, minority religions in Denmark, religion and death, religion and health, Islam and the study of religion (s), et al.
For a complete list of publications, including textbooks written and edited for upper-secondary RE , please see: https://portal.findresearcher.sdu.dk/en/persons/tjensen/publications/
For more information, please see: https://portal.findresearcher.sdu.dk/en/persons/tjensen